To main content

Registered vehicles New registrations of passenger cars and lorries in Sweden, December 2017:

New cars decreased by 6.6 percent in December

Statistical news from Statistics Sweden 2018-01-03 9.30

In December 2017 a total of 35 357 passenger cars were newly registered, a decrease of 6.6 percent compared with December last year. The decrease is due to the so-called calendar effect, as December 2017 has two less registration days than the same month last year. This is according to Transport Analysis’ monthly official statistics on newly registered vehicles.

New registrations of passenger cars 2017
New registrations of passenger cars and lorries in Sweden, December 2017

Diesel cars made up 44.8 percent of the new registrations, a decrease of 7 percentage points compared with December last year. Passenger cars that can be powered by electricity, ethanol or gas made up 13.2 percent of the new registrations, compared with 8.5 percent in December 2016.

Seventy-four percent of the cars were registered by businesses and organisations, of which businesses in the car retail trade accounted for 36 percent of total new registrations. Among the cars registered by private persons, men accounted for 66 percent and women for the remaining 34 percent.

Among the newly registered cars, 34 908 were of model year 2015–2017, and 449 were older models. During the month, 19 222 passenger cars were deregistered, which means that the total passenger car fleet increased by 16 135 vehicles.

New registrations of lorries continue to increase by 1.8 percent in December compared with same month last year. Even this month the new requirements for lower emissions for Class 1 mopeds might be the reason for the high increase of new registrations, compared with same month last year.

New requirements for lower emissions for Class 1 mopeds

New registration of vehicles in December 2017 broken down by type of vehicle
Type of vehicleDecember
2016
December
2017
Changes
percent
Passenger cars
37 851 35 357 ‑6.6
of which petrol
15 122 14 834 ‑1.9
of which diesel
19 522 15 848 ‑18.8
of which electric
453 293 ‑35.3
of which hybrid electric
1 353 2 013 48.8
of which plug-in hybrid
915 1 934 111.4
of which ethanol/ethanol flexi-fuel
92 73 ‑20.7
of which gas /gas bi-fuel
389 352 ‑9.5
Percent of cars with MB2013
16.3 18.8  
Motorhomes (subset of passenger cars)
137 147 7.3
Lorries
5 937 6 043 1.8
Busses
168 99 ‑41.1
Trailers (excl. caravans)
2 371 2 288 ‑3.5
Caravans
113 52 ‑54.0
Tractors
968 2 045 111.3
Motorcycles
4 966 407 ‑91.8
Class 1 mopeds
399 5 502 1 278.9
Snowmobiles
2 512 3 300 31.4
Terrain vehicles
797 473 ‑40.7

Databases containing information for passenger cars on the county/municipality level and fuel for the years 2006–2017 are available in the Statistical database.

Statistical Database

Transport Analysis is the government agency responsible for the statistics and Statistics Sweden has produced the statistics at its request. For detailed information on new registrations, please see "Monthly vehicle statistics" available at Transport Analysis or Statistics Sweden.

Transport Analysis

Statistics Sweden

The new registrations comprise all vehicles during the month that have been entered into the register. These registrations differ from the new registrations in BIL Sweden’s reports. BIL Sweden's data only contains data on cars with the latest three model years, and cars that are not directly imported.

Key Facts about Transport Analysis

Transport Analysis is the government agency that analyses and evaluates Swedish transport policy and is responsible for official statistics in the field of transport. Transport Analysis also produces background data for transport policy decision-makers and promotes socioeconomically efficient and long-term sustainable transport services provision throughout Sweden.

Next publishing will be

New registrations in January will be published 2 February 2018 at 9:30.

Statistical Database

More information is available in the Statistical Database

Feel free to use the facts from this statistical news but remember to state Source: Statistics Sweden.

Statistical agency

Transport Analysis

Telephone
+46 10 414 42 00
E-mail
trafikanalys@trafa.se

Enquiries

Anette Myhr

Telephone
+46 10 414 42 17
E-mail
anette.myhr@trafa.se

Producer

Statistics Sweden, Regional Services and Planning

Address
701 89 Örebro

Enquiries

Tina Svahn

Telephone
+46 10 479 66 26
E-mail
tina.svahn@scb.se