To main content

Registered vehicles, November 2016

New cars increased by 0.1 percent

Statistical news from Statistics Sweden and Transport Analysis 2016-12-02 9.30

During November 2016 a total of 32 396 passenger cars were newly registered, an increase of 0.1 percent compared to November last year. This is according to Transport Analysis monthly official statistics on newly registered vehicles.

New registrations of passenger cars 2015–2016

Chart

Diesel cars made up 50.8 percent of the new registrations, a decrease of 7.2 percentage points compared to November last year. Passenger cars that can be powered by electricity, ethanol or gas made up 8.6 percent of the new registrations, compared to 6.0 percent during November 2015.

61 percent of the cars were registered by businesses and organisations, of which businesses in the car retail trade accounted for 29 percent of total new registrations. Of the cars registered by private persons, men accounted for 64 percent and women for the remaining 36 percent.

Of the newly registered cars 31 810 were of model year 2014-2016 and 586 were older models. During the month 21 944 passenger cars were deregistered, which means that the total passenger car fleet increased by 10 452 vehicles.

New registrations of lorries increased by 13 percent in November. Tractors and motorcycles were the two vehicle types that increased the most compared with the same month last year.

Of passenger cars plug-in hybrid and hybrid electric had the highest increase in November 2016 compared with the same month last year.

New registration of vehicles during November 2016 broken down by type of vehicle
Type of vehicleNew registrationChanges percent
 November 2015November 2016 
Passenger cars
32 378 32 392 0.1
of which petrol
11 660 13 136 12.7
of which diesel
18 781 16 472 ‑12.3
of which electric
184 248 34.8
of which hybrid electric
766 1 128 47.3
of which plug-in hybrid
558 1 024 83.5
of which ethanol/ethanol flexi fuel
99 67 ‑32.3
of which gas /gas flexi fuel
330 317 ‑3.9
Percent of cars with MB2013
16.8 16.7  
Motorhomes (subset of passenger cars)
163 186 14.1
Lorries
4 646 5 233 12.6
Busses
200 124 ‑38.0
Trailers (excl. caravans)
2 692 2 944 9.4
Caravans
143 122 ‑14.7
Tractors
395 624 58.0
Motorcycles
505 691 36.8
Class 1 mopeds
472 460 ‑2.5
Snowmobiles
2 041 1 758 ‑13.9
Terrain vehicles
487 505 3.7

Databases containing information for passenger cars on the county/municipality level and fuel for the years 2006–2016 are available in the Statistical Database.

Transport Analysis is the government agency responsible for the statistics and Statistics Sweden has produced the statistics at its request. For detailed information on new registrations, please see "Monthly vehicle statistics" available on the Transport Analysis website or Statistics Sweden's website.

The new registrations contain all vehicles during the month, that has entered into the register. These registrations differs from the new registrations in BIL Sweden:s reports. BIL Sweden's data only contains data for cars with the last three model years, as well as those that are not directly imported.

Key Facts about Transport Analysis

Transport Analysis is the government agency that analyses and evaluates Swedish transport policy and is responsible for official statistics in the field of transport. Transport Analysis also produces background data for transport policy decision-makers and promotes socioeconomically efficient and long-term sustainable transport services provision throughout Sweden.

Next publishing will be

New registrations for December will be published on the 2017-01-02 at 09:30.

Statistical Database

More information is available in the Statistical Database

Feel free to use the facts from this statistical news but remember to state Source: Statistics Sweden.

Statistical agency

Transport Analysis

Telephone
+46 10 414 42 00
E-mail
trafikanalys@trafa.se

Enquiries

Anette Myhr

Telephone
+46 10 414 42 17
E-mail
anette.myhr@trafa.se

Producer

Statistics Sweden, Commission Services

Address
701 89 Örebro

Enquiries

Tina Svahn

Telephone
+46 10 479 66 26
E-mail
tina.svahn@scb.se